CA Speeding Ticket Cost
CALIFORNIA SPEEDING TICKET COST
It is a tricky affair to determine a California speeding ticket cost as these tend to scale depending on the speed you were going and how far above the speed limit you were. This means it can become an incredibly expensive violation as the state of California has a zero-tolerance approach to anyone who puts other drivers and pedestrians on the road at risk.
Cost of a California Speeding Ticket
So, of course, the best way to handle speeding tickets is to avoid getting them. However, if you’ve been ticketed for a speeding violation it can get tricky in terms of expense. This is because the ultimate value of this ticket could even end up being 4-7 times higher than that of the base fine if you’re caught in specific zones where certain state penalties apply.
For example: 1-15 MPH Over Speed Limit has a base fine of $35. However, that is not the total cost. Here are the extra fees and penalties added to every California speeding ticket:
- Court operations assessment – $40.00
- Conviction Assessment – $35.00
- State penalty assessment) – 100% of base fine
- Night court assessment – $1.00
- County penalty assessment) – $7 for every $10 of base fine
- DNA Identification fund penalty assessment – $4 for every $10 of base fine
- State court construction penalty assessment – 50% of base fine
- Emergency Medical Air Transportation Services fund penalty assessment – $4.00
- Emergency medical services fund penalty assessment – $2 for every $10 of base fine
Therefore, the total cost of $235. And that is only for regular speeding ticket. If you are caught speeding 1-15mph over in a double fine zone (construction zone), the base fine is $70 and the total cost is $360.
The above example is using a conservative violation speed though. If you were going much faster than the speed limit, your California speeding ticket cost can climb alarmingly fast.
- Speeding 15-25 mph over the speed limit costs $360
- If you speed 15-25 over the speed limit in a construction zone, the total cost of $525.
- Speeding 26+ over the speed limit is base fine of $100 and total cost of $480.
- If you are speeding 26+ mph in a double fine zone (construction zone), base fine $135 and total cost of $648.
That’s not even addressing the long-term expense of having your insurance rates increase after getting hit with a traffic citation. Every speeding tickets adds 1 or 2 dmv points to California driving records. When this happens, insurance companies see those points and consider you a high risk driver. Accordingly, they increase your insurance rates.
In addition to the cost of an attorney and court fees, not to mention time spent to appear in person, and it becomes necessary to consider fighting a speeding ticket (CVCs 22349a, 22349b, 22405, 22406 or 22407) remotely instead. Particularly in terms of not taking on the financial strain if you’ve been unfairly penalized.
How to Reduce the Cost of a CA Speeding Ticket
The GetDismissed system is a great way to optimize your chances of a successful outcome via a “Trial by Written Declaration” when trying to get a California speeding ticket dismissed. You will be able to access everything you need with your browser or can install the app for quick convenience.
Don’t take our word for it… the testimonials below are from a live feed of recent customers who were able to beat their California speeding tickets. Become one of them today by using the GetDismissed app on your phone, logging into the portal through your computer, or by calling 800-580-3769 and speaking with a customer support specialist.